Sunday, July 24, 2011

Life and Death on the Farm


My daughter had a friend sleep over on Friday night. Her friend wanted to see the horses so we were all in the barn, petting Zazu, when we heard the chirping of a baby bird. It took us a few minutes to locate him - seems he fell from the nest and landed inside the barn wall. We could see him down there! At first I had no idea how to get him out. Kaiya made it very clear to me that she "didn't want nature to take it's course!" (Her words.) Since the barn walls are sheets of plywood that are screwed into a wood and metal frame, the space the little bird fell into was no wider than a 2x4. Hmmm...

After a quick look around the tack shed, I found an old aluminum ladle. Ah, idea! I used duct tape to secure it to the end of an old broom handle. I lowered the contraption down into the space in the wall and the little bird hopped on! I pulled him out and held him in my hand. He seemed fine. We took him into the house, made a little cat-safe hut for him and gave him some water. He was ok for a few hours, but nature did take it's course and the little baby bird died in my hand. Kaiya shed a couple of tears for him and said, "Well, baby bird. We tried!"

Kaiya recovered quickly and soon went back to her frogs - she's got about 15 of them in a homemade aquarium. She knows she has to let them go today - it's hard to catch live bugs to feed to frogs! And we can't find any worms - we haven't had any rain for a while (except last night - I think it rained for about 2 minutes) so the worms have burrowed deep.

The temperature is suppose to be back to normal today - thank God! It's been soooooo hot. But I still like it better that -10° and two feet of snow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment