Friday, December 31, 2010

It's Hot!


No, I'm not talking about the weather. My oldest kid and I took a few steps toward fixing the electric fence. We pounded yet another (longer) grounding post into the snowy ground and replaced the hot wire. Nothing. So, I called my brother, who said something about our shoes grounding us out (ah, we were both wearing rubber mud boots!) and at the same time Jake touched the grounding rod with one hand and the fence with the other...POW! Jake said it felt like someone punched him in the chest! Yeah, it works!

We led each horse to the hot wire and touched their noses to it. Zazu's reaction was hilarious as she threw her head up and down while lifting up her upper lip. Laney was pissed, huffing at the ground and shaking her head. I think they both now know that the fence is hot and demands respect.

We didn't lock them in their stalls last night as a test to see if they would truly respect their surroundings. I haven't seen them come out of the barn yet - hopefully, they are just staying out of the cold and not down the street somewhere...

I guess I should go check if I don't see them in a few minutes!

UPDATE: Well, the horses were in their stalls, except Zazu had wire wrapped around her head and Laney has a big cut on one of her back legs. From this day forward, they will always go to their stalls at night. Now I am wondering if there's a coyote or something similar spooking them.

No comments:

Post a Comment